This vegan pozole recipe is ideal for people who are looking after their eating habits but also looking for a delicious, hot and very nutritious dish! With a mixture of ingredients that give us the nutrients that our body needs without using meat! You will be amazed how we achieve that great flavor using simply vegetables and spices.
Mexican green pozole without meat
The pozole is a typical Mexican dish that has a great history!
It comes from pre-Hispanic Mexico, from the Nahuatl pozolli and with the passing of the years and the change of culture has been changing.
Initially they prepared it with meat from an animal called “tepezcuintle” which is a large rodent.
Then the recipe was modified and began to be prepared with pork or chicken.
Always accompanied by corn, a mixture of spices, spicy and of course onion, lettuce and chopped radishes at the end.
An amazing mix of flavors that can be prepared red or green.
Now I share a new recipe, without meat, replacing it with mushrooms and chickpeas, a healthy and perfect version to eat now in Lent.
Besides being a dish with the Mexican flavor you will also be contributing various nutrients, thanks to spinach, chickpeas, mushrooms and tomatillo;
- And vitamins that will make this a super complete dish.
And do not worry about protein! Chickpea is a source of vegetable protein that will cover your protein needs in food.
Vegetarian Green Pozole
Vegetarian Green Pozole
- 1 GARLIC CLOVE
- 4 GREEN TOMATOE
- 1/2 CHILE SERRANO
- 1/2 CUP CORIANDER
- 2 SPOONS PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 1/4 ONION
- 1/4 SPOON CUMIN
- 1 SPOON MARJORAM
- 1 CHILE POBLANO
- 1 CUP SPINACH
- 2 LEAVES EPAZOTE
- 1 1/2 CUP CHICKPEA
- 3 CUPS MUSHROOMS
- TOAST THE GREEN TOMATOES, THE ONION, THE CHILE SERRANO, THE GARLIC CLOVE AND THE CHILE POBLANO
- REMOVE THE SKIN OF THE CHILE POBLANO
- TOAST THE PUMPKIN SEEDS JUST FOR A FEW SECONDS
- BLEND ALL THE TOAST INGREDIENTS WITH A CUP OF WARM WATER, THE SPINACH, CUMIN, A PINCH OF SALT, MARJORAM AND CORIANDER
- BOIL THIS SAUCE WITH THE CHICKPEA AND THE MUSHROOMS IN SLICES, ADD 4 CUPS OF WATER
- SERVE ACCOMPANIED BY LETTUCE, LEMON AND RADISH TO TASTE
Show me how your recipe came out on Instagram with #SpicyLatinaMom and don´t forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel and social media for everyday inspiration and more delicious recipes.
For more recipes like this check out this: Mexican Food
I love to read your comments! Please leave your comments below and share this recipe with your friends.